Friday 25 January 2008

Saturday Kitchen Recipe - Smoked Tofu Vegetarian Pasta


This weeks "Saturday kitchen recipe" is a smoked tofu vegetarian pasta recipe and it tasted wonderful.

Vegetarian pasta is not just about vegetables as you can use tofu that will give this dish a fabulous taste. I used "smoked tofu" in this dish that combines very well with pasta.

Tofu is also very good for you and has many health benefits.

This recipe is healthy, delicious and does not take long to cook.




Ingredients for Jeenas Saturday Kitchen Vegetarian Pasta Recipe:


100g Smoked Tofu (sliced into chunks)
1 Large Flat Mushroom (diced)
1 Small Onion (sliced)
1 Tomato (peeled & diced)
1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
Few drops Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Fresh Parsely Leaves
Parmesan Cheese (or dairy free alternative)
Rigatoni Pasta (small pan full)

'Note ...I used a smoked tofu with added chopped nuts, there are many types of smoked tofu, you can use which ever smoked tofu you can get.'

Below are photos of my smoked tofu used in this saturday kitchen recipe: It looks so very tasty !




Getting started on Jeenas Saturday Kitchen Recipe - Smoked Tofu Vegetarian Pasta..


Put your pasta in a small pan of lightly salted water and cook.

Take a large frying pan add some warm up some olive oil and add your tofu and onions.


Cook for a few minutes, keep stiring.



Add the mushrooms, then the tomatoes and keep cooking and stiring.



Add your crushed garlic, keep cooking and stir well.




Add some fresh chopped parsely.



Add a few drops a lemon juice (just a hint of lemon juice, too much will make it taste too much of lemons).

Add salt and pepper, go easy on the salt because you will add cheese which is salty.



Sprinkle over some grated parmisan cheese, stir well.



Now your pasta should be cooked, drain well and add to your tofu.



Add some more fresh parsely.



Sprinkle with some more parmisan cheese.



Your smoked tofu vegetarian pasta recipe is ready to serve.






After your Smoked tofu vegetarian pasta why not try..

Check out my classic sponge cake recipe or my egg custard recipe.

And to finish off....

A lovely warm "refreshing drink" that is good for you and great for digestion:


Jeenas fresh spiced tea recipe.

Enjoy my wonderful recipes that are so good for you !


Why not check out my other saturday kitchen recipes.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeena this recipe dish looks amazing and so healthy too, this will be on my list to cook. I have never used tofu before and having looked at the benefits then I will buy some next time I go to the shop.

I can not wait to see you healthy fudge recipe, I am on a diet and have been looking for healthy treats I am so pleased that I have found your amazing food recipe blog.

I have told all my close friends about your website as I am very impressed with your food recipe selection not to mention the cooking guide, I love your blog :-)
Megan

Finla said...

I don't know how you come up with all these delicious recipe.
It just looks so good and delicious.
Iam not a tofu fan , but lately i've seen few of tofu recipe that i want to give it a try again

Rosie said...

I have to echo what has been said by Happy, how you manage to come up with ideas for all your gorgeous recipes!! This one is equally a stunner too.

Have you ever thought of having your recipes published in a book? I for one would buy your book ;)

Rosie x

The Bhandari's said...

wow pasta is my all time favourite :)
this recipe looks great Jeena, I'll love to try it although am not sure I'll get this smoked tofu here in india

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeena,
I am professor R.M.Kaoshik from Mumbai India.I like your way of presentation.I visit regularly your site.Thanks a lot for your thinking and I keep on waiting for your saturday Kitchen.

Ruth Strong said...

I'm really going to have to start eating tofu because the recipes you post using tofu always sound amazing.

Can't wait to see the fudge recipe!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

How innovative to use tofu for pasta ...I'm sure every Chinese and Italian would agree with me. I love smoked tofu and u just showed me another wonderful to have it. Thanks for sharing.

Seena said...

very nice dish, Jeena. Always love your recipes, great looking!

Peter M said...

I'm very intrigued to try this pasta with tofu, no doubt a filling dish and good for my upcoming fast for lent.

Kribha said...

Whoa Jeena,
You are going in jet speed. I'm unable to keep up with you. BTW, I've never tried smoked tofu before. But it sure looks so tempting. The pasta looks so healthy and delicious too.

Anonymous said...

I tried this dish and it was wonderful! My husband and 2 best friends loved it. I could not find smoked tofu so I marinated a regular block of ex-firm tofu in liquid smoke over night and it added just the right smoke flavor. liquid smoke can be found in the condiment aisle near BBQ sauce. I also used wheat pasta instead and a gourmet mix of mushrooms(portabello,shitake,oyster) I also added white wine,extra crused garlic and extra olive oil. It was amazing! This is going in my fav non-meat recipe file! Thanks a lot for this wonderful recipe!