Saturday 15 September 2007

10 Reasons to eat Buckwheat



Buckwheat is very nutritious, it can be served as an alternative to rice or porridge.

Buckwheat is not actually a cereal grain but a fruit seed related to rhubarb and sorrel. This means that people who can not eat wheat and grains can eat buckwheat as an alternative.

Bees love buckwheat flowers and produce a very dark strong tasting honey - research has shown that the darker the honey the more antioxidants the honey contains
.

So why not give buckwheat a try?

To start with just cook some up in a small pan to get the true flavour, let your imagination do the rest.



Here are 10 reasons to include buckwheat into your diet :

  1. Buckwheat contains all 8 amino acids which are essential for good health.
2. Buckwheat is high in magnesium,iron,copper,zinc,manganese,phosphorus and also B vitamins.

3. It is high in fiber which we all know is good for us and keeps our bowels moving.

4. It is high in flavonoids which act as an antioxidant which help protect your body against free radicals.

5. Buckwheat contains omega 3 oils.

6. It lowers glucose levels which is helpful for people with diabetes.

7. Buckwheat can lower blood pressure.

8. It has proven to help lower cholesterol.

9. It can take as little as 5 minutes to cook.

10. It tastes delicious.




Why not check out some of Chef Jeena's buckwheat recipes

Click Here for Onion Bhaji Recipe


11 comments:

DK said...

Oh my the term 'healthy' oozes out from every recipe of yours. I have added u in my list...U will find a regular visitor in me..Great gng Jeena...will update after every recipe I try..Carrot cake came out fabulously well...will try a variation next and post it:) thanks for the recipe and also for dropping by

Mansi said...

I love buckwheat pancakes!!! you've put the healthy part of buckwheat out very well Jeena:)

Latha Narasimhan said...

It is amazing to know about so many variety of grains available! Such useful info on nutritive value of buck wheat!Thanks for sharing jeena!

The Bhandari's said...

Thanks Jeena for this post, I am definitly going to try buck wheat, seeing all it's nutrition values
Preeti

Thistlemoon said...

I actually really love buckwheat. It is hard for me to find a grian that I enjoy - but buckwhat is wonderful! You can do so much with it!

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, as I wasn't aware of your delightful site until now. I'll be sure to check out your creations regularly, and I've added you to my sidebar for easy viewing.

This post reminds me that I haven't had buckwheat for sometime. Thanks for the nudge to add it to my rotation of grains :)

Padma said...

Mindblowing post on Buck wheat, now ask ppl to write 10 reasons of excuses for not eating it, how can you ignore such a wonderful fruit?

Anonymous said...

How good is buckwheat pasta for you? I know most processed foods are not as good as whole, but don't I love buckwheat noodles for breakfast!!

angela@spinachtiger said...

Our local pancake house sells buckwheat pancakes that are delicious.
And, now I know how good that is for us too.

smitha shine said...

jeena ...u r great!!!!!!!today i bought the buckwheat n tried ur veg kebab.....really wonderfulllllll.............

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Smitha,

Thank you for leaving me some great feedback.

Keep coming back as I update Jeenas Kitchen almost daily with breand new recipes.