Friday 30 March 2007

Brown Bread Recipe



How to make brown bread


This is a really easy brown bread recipe to bake.

Follow the step-by-step pictures to help you along the way.

This brown bread recipe is crisp on the outside and fluffy in the centre.

For an even fluffier brown bread use half white flour instead.



Align Centre

Ingredients for brown bread recipe


500g Wholewheat flour
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1 + 1/2 tsp Sugar
1 Sachet of instant yeast (7g)
1 + 1/2 Tbsp Rice bran oil
Warm water

Note...for a lighter brown bread recipe use 250g brown flour and 250g of white flour.



How to make brown bread


Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add enough warm water to bring the flour into a dough.

Knead the brown bread dough for 5 minutes using a dough hook or 10 minutes using your hands
.



Grease a bowl that is larger than the dough. Place the brown bread dough into the bowl and cover.



Leave in a warm place until it doubles in size.



Once the dough has risen dust a clean surface with flour and slightly knead into shape.



Cut into pieces and place into a greased and floured loaf tin or make into brown bread rolls. Cover bread and leave to rise again.

Brush bread with oil. Place into a hot oven at gas mark 8 and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Bread is ready when you tap it and it sounds hollow inside.


Enjoy Chefs tasty and healthy brown bread recipe.



4 comments:

Aggie said...

I have been searching for a good whole wheat pizza dough recipe. I'm excited about trying this one!! I love knowing I can try this out 3 ways!

I just discovered your blog from Jersey Girl Cooks...I'm so glad I found it! Love that you have healthy recipes on here, I try to eat only whole grains so its nice to get new ideas! Thank you!!

Maisha said...

I've been using a similar dough for my pizza's :-) Although I leave out the salt and sugar, and sometimes add some wheat bran for extra fiber, and some oregano and other spices for a spicy pizza dough. It's a great recipe! I'be been checking quite a few of your recipes and I think it's wonderful how you manage to write them down, accompanied by nice photo's. I will definitely try some of them!

michelle said...

Is atta flour the same as wholemeal flour?

Anonymous said...

hi jenna i tried the brown bread & i dont knw it didnt fluff so much , as the flour didnt rise and was feeling low kindly suggest me on how can i improve making a nice garlic fluffy bread