Friday 21 September 2007

Short Bread Recipe


Recipe for traditional short bread.

Short bread is more of a biscuit, short cake is more cakey, so chances are if you've bought either of these recipes from a shop it will have been traditional short bread.

Short bread is a lovely buttery melt in the mouth biscuit.

This recipe is easy, fast and tastes fantastic.

Chef baked short bread fingers and petticoat tails.

If you want the buttery taste of traditional short bread make sure you use real butter and not margarine. If you only have margarine in your fridge but still want to bake this recipe then go ahead because it will still taste really nice - it just won't have the traditional butter taste.





Ingredients
9 oz Plain White Flour
3 oz Caster Sugar
6oz Butter
Fine Caster Sugar (for dusting)


Mix together your flour and sugar in a bowl. Add your butter and rub together with your fingers. You will start to get a bread crumb texture, now start to knead it together to form a ball.


Half your ball into two balls. Take one of the balls to make your petticoat tails.




For your petticoat tails roll your ball out into a circle approx 1cm/1/2 inch thick. Place a plate over the top and cut around to edges.



Carefully place onto a greased and floured tray/dish. Now mark your your circle into 8 with a knife. I cut around the edges with a crinkle cutter. Gently make some marks into your circle with a fork,bake in an oven at 160C for 20-30 minutes or until pale and golden.



For your short bread fingers take your second ball of short bread mixture. Roll into a square/rectangle as much as you can. Take a knife cut the edges off to form a perfect edge. Now cut finger shapes out approx an inch in width and a few inches long.


Again place on a floured and greased baking tray and mark with a fork. Place in an oven at 160C but this time only for 20-25 minutes or until pale and golden. They cook quicker than the petticoat tails.


When you take your petticoat tails out of the oven cut through the lines you marked in earlier . Dust with fine caster sugar and leave to cool on a wire rack. When you take out your short bread fingers dust with fine caster sugar and cool on a wire rack also. Don't eat until they have cooled down.



Enjoy Jeena's Short Bread Recipe - Petticoat Tails and Short Bread Fingers.






12 comments:

FH said...

Now you are talking Mrs!:D
Looks gorgeous, I would gladly use butter. Delicious, might make it shortly.Thanks and have a great weekend!:))

DK said...

yummmyyyyyyyyyyy!

USHA said...

Hey Jeena....My god!how patience you are to upload all the step by step snaps..which is infact a great easy tool for us to understand the recipe very easily.

Great job dear...:))

Rajitha said...

jeena..love the pictorial..i love shortbread but have never made this..you make it look soo easy..thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jeena, I'm a fan of butter in my dishes :-) I never had short bread yet though anytime in my life till now. But now, tat i have ur recipe i will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the recipe and the detailed explanation !!

www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

Padma said...

NIce recipe of short bread, now thats makes me drooling!

Chef Jeena said...

Hey Asha let me know how it goes if you decide to make my short bread recipe. :)

Thankyou for visiting Dhivya Karthik. :)

USHA Thanks for the comment I'm glad you like my pictures. :)

Rajitha let me know how it goes if you make it I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for the lovely comment. :)

Hi Mona, let me know how it goes if you bake this, I am sure if you love butter you would love short bread as it is very melt in the mouth. :)

Hey Padma thanks for the comment. :)

Sharmi said...

beautiful looking short bread. lovely pics and a great recipe.

Carrie said...

I've been thinking of making short bread sometime soon. Now I'm really thinking about it! I really appreciate your attention to detail!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeena, This shortbread will be on my list of homemade gifts for christmas. Thanks for the recipe. If I blog about it, I'll let you know. Also lets link exchange. You are linked!

Unknown said...

Jeena, Shortbread is my favortie cookie in all the world, but since I found out I am gluten intolerant I can no longer have it. Your pics of it are beautiful.
My daughter in law is from Plymouth, England, I just met her in January. My son was stationed near Alconbury for 7 years. They are in Maryland now. Nice to meet you!

burekaboy — said...

i'm a sucker for shortbread :) they look perfect. adding some rice flour makes them extra crumbly and good, too. not sure if that's a regional UK thing, though.