Wednesday 2 July 2008

Jeenas Coconut Ice Recipe



Summer is here now where I live.

I don't know about you, but some nice "cooling ice" will go down very well ......don't get too excited though, as this will not cool you down but it will definitely melt in your mouth !

It was so hard taking pictures of these coconut ice cubes as they were all being eaten so fast, not by my hubby or kids, but by Jeena !

Yes... I admit to being a total glutton for these pretty little coconut ice treats that were so very tasty.... YOU have got to make these as you will love them too, they were so nice.

A traditional "Coconut ice recipe" uses different methods and ingredients than what I have used in this coconut ice recipe; traditionally milk or sweetened/condensed milk or egg whites is used.

I love traditional coconut ice but I adore my very own coconut ice recipe.

My coconut ice recipe is dairy free and has no added fat.

It is a delicious sweet treat that "melts in the mouth" and the combination of fruit and nuts taste great. I could not resist adding a "pinch of cardamon powder" to my coconut ice recipe.
Using cardamon powder made this dish very tasty.

You do not need a thermometer or any fancy kitchen equipment to cook this easy coconut ice recipe.... So no excuses get that cooking apron on and try some of Jeenas delicious coconut ice recipe for yourself as YOU will love it too.


Ingredients for Jeenas Coconut Ice Recipe


200g Caster Sugar
1/2 Cup Water
8 Glazed Cherries (halved)
Handful Unsalted Pistachio Nuts
Handful Almond Nuts (halved)
Handful Sultanas or Raisins
100g Desiccated Coconut
Pinch Cardamon Powder (optional)


Picture of almonds, raisins, pistachio nuts and cherries.



How to make Jeenas Coconut Ice Recipe

Place the sugar and water into a pan and bring to the boil.



Once boiling keep boiling the sugar water gently for approximately 10 minutes or until it starts to slightly thicken.



Add the cardamon powder to the coconut then add the coconut to the sugar water.

Stir well.



Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the coconut thickens, stir often. If it looks too watery just sprinkle in a little more coconut until it thickens.

Once the coconut has thickened add all of the fruit and nuts, stir well then take off the heat.





Take a small loaf tin and lightly grease it.

Pour in the coconut ice mixture and make even with a spoon.

Leave to cool for ten minutes then cover and leave to cool in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.



You can leave the coconut to cool down in the tin or you can gently remove the coconut ice and cool it for longer on a new plate.



Once the coconut ice recipe has cooled down use a sharp knife to carefully cut the coconut ice into chunks.



Enjoy Jeenas delicious coconut ice recipe.




Click here to see more of Jeenas sweet recipes cake recipes index page

Join Jeenas Foodie Event that ends July 21st
Click here for food event

19 comments:

Paula said...

Beautiful! I've never seen anything like this! I bet the pistachios taste awesome with those other flavors!

Prajusha said...

jeena,
looks yummmy..Mouthwatering pics..:)

Anonymous said...

I've never seen anything quite like this. It's somewhat similar to shaved ice treats I grew up with from Chinese bakeries and shaved ice stands, but these look even more intense with the nuts and fruit. I like this idea. I've been making ice pops lately, and these look like something interesting to try along those lines.

Rachel said...

That is a novel way of making coconut ice....Good one

Lucy..♥ said...

What a wonderful combination of flavors!! And.... just the perfect cooler for the hot days that are upon us ;-)

Prudy said...

Jeena:
You're killing me! I've never seen a coconut ice cube like that before. Wouldn't that be so good as dessert with your biryani? No wonder you couldn't keep your hands off them! Have you tried other flavors? I'm glad to see that summer has arrived in Maine. BTW, congrats on your blog award. So well deserved-your blog is amazing!

Noor said...

Wow that looks really good. I have never saw this before it looks really fun and yummy.

Madhavi said...

WOW Jeena Awesome entry. Coconut ice looks great, divine. Pics also looks very tempting!!!!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow, I've never had anything like this. Very pretty also!

Deepthi Shankar said...

sooo yummy jeena ... its a nre recipe for me

Cakelaw said...

Oh delicious Jeena! I like traditional coconut ice, so this is definitely owrth a go.

Jenny said...

I seriously love this recipe! With it being so incredibly hot here, this would be the perfect afternoon snack. Great recipe!

David Hall said...

What a top recipe Jeena! Really impressed, nice little summer treat, delicious.

Cheers
David

Swati said...

Wow..This is exotic Jeena..Mouthwatering really!!

Sum Raj said...

thats awesome..beautiful white sweet dish...luv ur all recipe...somthing for u on my blog...check out

Unknown said...

I tried making this at home..n it was worth every bite...everyone loved it...thanks jeena for sharing.. :)

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Genie,

I am glad you loved my coconut ice recipe.

Keep logging on to jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com as I update almost daily with brand new food recipes.

Jo said...

I just made this this afternoon and it was delicious!!

I think I should have left mine a bit squidgier though as it is quite crumbly and very hard to cut without it falling apart.

An excuse to give it another go and not dry it out too much at the last stage!

Anonymous said...

Jeena,
I don't eat sugar. Will xylitol or other non-sugar sweetner work with this?


Lady Ravenquille