Thursday 5 April 2007

Healthy Chick Pea Patties


This recipe is easy and delicious, I cooked it for my husbands dinner today and he loved it, I must admit I did too!

They are tasty as a hot or cold snack and so very healthy.




8-10 Small White Potatoes
1/2 Red Onion (finely chopped)
1/2 Tin Chick Peas
1/2 Tin Peas
Small Chunk Ginger
1 Large Clove Garlic
1/2 Green Chili
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Garam Massala
Olive Oil
Chick Pea Flour



Make some mashed potato's (do not add butter - just salt!) with 8-10 small potatoes, place in a bowl. Gently heat your chick peas for a few minutes then add to the potato mash with your peas.





Stir together.




Now chop ginger,garlic and chili and grind in a mortar and pestle.




Add your finely chopped onion to a frying pan on a hot heat and cook for a minute or 2, then turn down the heat and add your ginger paste, gently cook for 2 minutes then add your spices - you may need to add some more oil.





Add to your mash mixture.




And stir well.





Make small balls in the palm of your hand then flatten them a little. Dip them into chickpea flour then heat up some oil in a frying pan on medium - high heat (do not cook on low or your patties will stick) and cook on both sides until brown.




If you enjoyed reading this wonderful recipe then why not check out my vegetarian kebab recipe as they are just as tasty as my healthy chick pea patties.

19 comments:

USHA said...

Hi Jeena,
Thanks for visiting my blog and dropping your valuable comments over there.

Chick pea patties looks perfect and delicious too..

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Usha, thankyou for visiting my blog too :)
I love the look and sound of your recipes so I am putting a link on my blog to your blog :)

Anonymous said...

chickpeas in patties is something i have never tried. looks good:)

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Reena thankyou for visiting :) Yes the chickpeas in these patties were lovely my hubby loved them :D

Anonymous said...

OMG, Jeena, I thought you were Indian(not that it matters). I'm visiting your blog for the first time & looking at your recipes, the specific proportions of ingredients etc, its just the way my mother would make it, honest! I am impressed. You look gorgeous!

Asha

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Asha :) Thankyou for visiting my blog.
I am very honoured that you compare my recipes to your mothers, thankyou :D I hope you come back to check out more recipes because I update almost daily :)

Kitchen Monkey said...

THese look REALLY tasty, I'm going to try them soon! I bet they would be great dipped in some raita.

Chef Jeena said...

Hi kitchen monkey, thankyou for visiting :) Yes I bet they would be lovely with some raita!

Viji said...

Thanks, Jeena for leaving a comment on my blog. You have a nice blog. The patties are mouth watering and clear presention with photos. Viji

Anonymous said...

Jeena,

These sound so good! I've never made anything like this before but I have all the ingredients here. I'll let you know when I try them. I really appreciate all the photos you include with your recipes, it is very helpful!

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there Viji, thankyou for visiting :) I'm glad you like my patties :)

Hi Nicole, Thankyou for visiting!I'm glad my pictures are of use :)

Deepa Hari said...

Hi Jeena,
Will add chick peas to my patties next time when i make it...good job.

Chef Jeena said...

Hey Deepa :) the chickpeasa were lovely in the patties :)

Amy said...

Mmmm these look yummy. I'm bookmarking them to give them a go when I run out of my current frozen supply! (I adore patties, so easy, so yummy, so versatile and you can freeze them for quick and easy nights).

Jules said...

They look great.

Shyam said...

I know it's been two years..i hope you see this comment lol..but what type of oil did you use? I tried making these, didnt fry well at all =( But I couldn't let it go to waste, so i'm eating it like a chickpea, green pea mashed potato dinner lol.

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Shyam,

It sounds like either you used too much oil or the potatoes were too watery.

Could you have over cooked the white potatoes or added anything to the potatoes?

The potatoes should be thick and stodgy to help bind the patties together.

Also maybe try less oil next time, any kind of vegetable oil will work.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Jeena.

Samantha Aungle said...

Hi..I am vegan and these sound wonderful!! Must try them soon as I have a whole bag of organic potatoes..thanks for this easy recipe!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeena,

could you please tell me how many patties these make?

thanks