Saturday 19 January 2008

Jeenas Saturday kitchen recipe: Soy Bean Stew


This weeks Saturday kitchen recipe is my Soy Bean stew!


Jeenas soy bean stew recipe is quick to cook and tastes delightful, it is very healthy, wholesome, filling and so very good for you.

I use a pressure cooker in this recipe as I think beans are best cooked in a pressure cooker as it gives the beans a lovely soft texture.




Ingredients
1 Cup Soy Beans
1 Large Carrot (chopped)
5 Small Shallots (chopped)
1/4 Turnip (chopped)
3 Cherry Tomatoes ( halved)
Olive Oil
Fresh Coriander Leaves

For the Spices
2 Inch Fresh Ginger (grated)
1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
Salt and Pepper
1/4 tsp Hungarian Paprika
1/4 Garam Masala
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric

'note.....If you do not have a pressure cooker just boil and simmer all the stew until the beans are soft and cooked.'




Getting started on Jeena's Saturday kitchen recipe - Soybean stew..


First soak you soy beans in some water over night.

Now when your soy beans have been soaked rinse them and leave them to the side for later.



In some olive oil gently fry your shallots until they turn lightly golden. Add your garlic and ginger stir well.




Add your carrots, turnip, tomatoes and spices. Mix well.




With a spoon push the your stew mixture to one side of the pan. In the space of the pan pour in your rinse and drained soybeans.

Now cover over the soy beans with your spiced vegetables.




Sprinkle the coriander leaves on top.



Pour in enough water to see it comes through all the soybeans and vegetables.

Place the lid of your pressure cooker on safely. Bring to the boil then lower the heat to the lowest heat you can go and cook for 20 minutes.



After 20 minutes carefully place your cooker under the cold water tap and take off the lid.

Season with salt and pepper.




Enjoy your soy bean stew.





With your soy bean stew why not try..

Serve with bread, buckwheat dosa, naan bread or rice or accomniment of your choice.

Once you have made all these tasty food recipes then why not treat yourself to a nice sweet, Jeenas Kitchen offers lovey treats for afters !!

Check out my vanilla and chocolate shortcake, prune pudding
or my easy egg custard .

And to finish off.... a lovely warm refreshing drink that is good for you and great for digestion:

Jeenas fresh spiced tea recipe.

Enjoy !

4 comments:

Ruth Strong said...

I can just taste all those lovely flavours now!

Sagari said...

very healthy and comforting soup jeena nice recipe

Rosie said...

Hi Jeena, the colours alone in this dish are a fest to the eye!! What a delish recipe and I can see myself eating this with chunks of crusty homemade bread - mmmm - perfect!

What a great combo of spices you have added here too :D

Rosie x

Kribha said...

Hi Jeena,
It's been a while since I visited here. Sorry about that. Oh My!I have missed so many of your posts. I'm just going thru each one of them.
I recently started on a diet program and now only I realize the importance of your healthy recipes. I'm looking at your blog in new perspective.
stew looks so comforting. soy bean is one of the things allowed at anytime in my diet. I look forward to try this soon. Thanks for sharing.