Monday 18 August 2008

Hummus Recipe


Hummus is a thick dip consisting of chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and tahini. Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds.

There are many ways and variations of making a hummus recipe. It can be made with many vegetables and pulses and all different kinds of dressings.

Hummus can be served with bread and salad.

Chickpeas are very high in protein and vitamins and very tasty too.

I pressure cook my chickpeas from fresh but you can use tinned chickpeas if you like.




Ingredients for Jeenas Kitchen Hummus Recipe

Approx 250g Dried Chickpeas
1 Garlic Clove
1-2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Tahini
Salt to season
Olive Oil or Virgin Rapeseed Oil

'note...Using a pressure cooker you can soak chickpeas for a few hours only before cooking, if you are not using a pressure cooker then chickpeas must always be soaked over night and cooked until soft.'



How to make Hummus


Soak chickpeas from 5 hours to over night in fresh boiled water.



Rinse chickpeas and place into a pressure cooker.



Cover with water.

Do not add salt here.



Never fill the pressure cooker past half way.

Place on the lid and cook at full pressure for 20 minutes.



Carefully place cooker under the cold water tap and release the pressure by removing the lid.



Add salt to season.

Place chickpeas in the blender with lemon juice, garlic, oil, tahini and enough of the chickpea pan water to make a thick loose paste.



Serve in a bowl or flat plate and drizzle with olive oil.



Enjoy your delicious hummus recipe.




See my caramelzied onion hummus recipe for more delicious ways to eat hummus.


8 comments:

Paula said...

Hi Jeena, I learned a lot from this recipe! First, I've always used canned chick peas because the dried/soak/cook method requires more forethought than I usually do!! This recipe, though, with the use of a pressure cooker, has really caught my attention. I'm just learning about pressure cookers, and they seem like a GREAT kitchen cooking tool. Thanks for this recipe; it's a winner!

test it comm said...

That hummus looks nice and creamy and good!

Rachel Ducker said...

Hi Jeena

Your hummus post looks divine I must say it is always something I have wanted to try making!

I look the touch of having the caramelised onions they look fabulous.

Duckey x

ps- if you like my blog would you link to me? I would be honoured to be on your list as you were the person who inspired me to create!

grace said...

that's some of the creamiest hummus i've ever seen, and i'm not kidding. it looks amazing, jeena. :)

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Jeena - I've never made hummus before.

Marilyn Patterson said...

Hi Jeena,
That does really look good. However I feel like a complete failure when it comes to making hummus. I've always wanted to, and must have tried at least a few dozen times now literally. Every time, I can get it to *look* like hummus, but it never ever tastes like hummus. It's probably 1) I'm a terrible cook, which isn't surprising :( or 2) I never can put any tahini in it. Does the tahini actually make it taste like regular store bought hummus? Chickpeas ground up with oil have such a different taste from the hummus I get at the store I'm convinced that nearly 100% of the flavor of homemade hummus comes from tahini.

The problem is, tahini is another food which I've consistently failed at making :( And I've never ever seen it in any grocery store on the east coast, so I can't just buy some and try it that way. Do you have any suggestions for making ground chickpeas taste good without tahini? Maybe someday I'll figure something out without getting depressed at my consistent bad luck :P

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Luna, sometimes I enjoy making hummus without tahini.

Try adding one crushed garlic, one tablespoon of lemon juice, few tablespoons of olive oil with 1-2 cups of chickpeas.

You can add a little white wine vinegar which is good or use rapeseed oil instead of olive oil. Virgin Rapeseed oil is very healthy and has a lovely nutty taste. Or you could try any other nutty oils instead of the olive oil, they will give the hummus the nutty taste that you want.

Also using a pressure cooker to cook your own fresh chickpeas makes a difference in the taste.

Do you season the hummus with a pinch of salt? Sometimes this can make a difference.

You could research online to see if you can order tahini?

I hope this helps, thank you for stopping by jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com.

Jeena. :-)

pvl said...

Hummus needs cumin! Ahhh ... no cumin? An abomination!

lol!

Of course I'm only teasing about the abomination thing, but really I can't imagine hummus without it. Also tahini -- I like much more tahini than what you call for. But -- I am looking forward to trying your pepper and paprika topping on my home-made hummus! Yummy!