Monday 8 December 2008

Vegan Mushroom Pie Recipe (Gluten Free)


Eating vegan and gluten free does not mean you can not cook and eat a nice tasty pie.

Using my buckwheat pastry recipe today I cooked a mushroom pie with leeks and marrow fat peas.

To give my pie a rich brown colour I used browning but you can use a small amount of gluten free vegan gravy.

If you would love to try my mushroom pie using a wheat pastry then you can use white or brown wheat pastry instead of the buckwheat.

Using leeks and garlic to season the pie filling gives the pie a real depth of taste.



Ingredients for Vegan Mushroom Pie Recipe
10 Mushrooms (sliced thick)
1 Tin Marrow fat Peas
1 Onion (diced)
1/2 Leek (washed +diced)
1 Tbsp Garlic Paste
1 Tbsp Browning
2 Tbsp Water
Rapeseed Oil
Chef Jeenas Buckwheat Pastry


Picture of Mushrooms.



How to make Jeenas Kitchen Vegan Mushroom Pie Recipe



In a large pan gently fry the onions until they start to soften.

Add leeks stir well and cook for 5 minutes.



Add the garlic and stir well.



Drain the peas add to pan.



Add browning and water.

Stir well.



Add mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper.

Cook for 1 minute only stiring well.

You do not want to cook the mushrooms as they will cook in the pie.

Turn the heat off and remove pan from the heat while you make your pastry.



Take some of Chef Jeenas buckwheat pastry and roll it out.

Place it into a greased and floured small pie dish.

Leave high edges on the pie.

Place into a hot oven at 200C for minutes.



Take the pie base from the oven and pour the mushroom filling into the pie.



Roll out some more pastry and place on top of the pie.

Press down on the edges and cut the edges as desired.

I like a rustic look whilst cooking gluten free so when I cook this buckwheat pastry I leave the jagged edges on, the edges go crisp and are tasty to eat.




You can cut out mushroom or leaf shapes of pastry wet them on one side and place them onto the pie lid.




Brush the pie with oil.

Place into a hot oven at 180C for 20-30 minutes or until golden.



Take pie from oven and serve warm with mashed potatoes and steamed carrots.



Enjoy Chef Jeenas tasty vegan and gluten free mushroom pie.





I also cooked my red lentil flan today which also uses buckwheat pastry.




See more vegan recipe and gluten free recipes from Jeenas Kitchen.


5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh yum! Leeks and Mushrooms . . . I am so their!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gorgeous Jeena,

Can I substitute rapeseed oil with flax seed oil in baking? I made the chocolate vegan cookie last night, it's very very yummy :). I must admit that I had too much last night.

Thank you heaps (Nellie)

Chef Jeena said...

Thanks Emily. :-)

Hi Nellie, you can use any kind vegetable oil in replacement of rapeseed. I would not use flaxseed oil in baking this recipe.

Glad you enjoyed the cookies. :-)

Bharti said...

Wow, everything gluten free. Are you specifically on a gluten free diet? Just curious. I love mushrooms and in a pie they sound delicious.

Anonymous said...

I love the little dough mushrooms you made to decorate : )

And your butter beans hummus looks YUM! WHat a find this site is!