Sunday 5 April 2009

How to make Homemade Curry Powder


Curry Powder Recipe

I am going to give you an easy recipe to make your very own curry powder.

A basic madras curry powder can be used not only in curry recipes but also as a seasoning in soups, stews, vegetarian burgers, bean burgers, stir fry and more. You can use a pinch of curry powder, a teaspoon or a tablespoon in your recipe, either way curry powder is a great flavour to add to most dishes.

I use an old jam jar to store my curry powder in, any Tupperware will work fine as long as it has a tight fitting lid.

This curry powder is very mild in heat, I use the same recipe but with more chilli or cayenne pepper for hot curry powders.

Turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger and chilli all have health benefits and are very healthy for you see my health benefits of spices page for more information.



Ingredients to make homemade curry powder

8 Tbsp Cumin Powder
7 Tbsp Coriander Powder
2 Tbsp Ginger Powder
4 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper/Chilli Powder


Note...For a hot curry powder use 2 Tablespoons of cayenne or chilli powder


I use a 15ml tablespoon measurement for this recipe.

Picture or ground coriander.

Picture of ground ginger and cayenne pepper.

Picture of ground cumin.

Picture of ginger powder.

Picture of cayenne pepper.

Picture of turmeric powder.

How to make curry powder from scratch



Measure all of your spices and place into a mixing bowl.


Mix all of the spices thoroughly.


Your curry powder recipe is now ready to store.


Store in an air tight container.

Enjoy Chef Jeenas homemade curry powder recipe.




See Chefs step-by-step curry recipes:

Curry recipes page 1

Curry recipes
page 2





12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great curry powder! I love this spice mix!

Cheers,

Rosa

Chutneytales said...

You have showed us a very easy and aromatic curry powder recipe.Thanks,Jeena!

vanillasugarblog said...

and you're smart to do this. the cost of it at whole foods is crazy high.
thanks for sharing this. I am storing it away in my word file for later use.
I love how curry makes me sleep like a baby after I've eaten it, I know totally random of me to say, but it is very good for you, the blood, etc..

Yasmeen said...

Home made is certainly the best ,Jeena:)

La Bella Cooks said...

I love curry and never really thought to make it myself. What a great idea, Jeena, as I have all of those spices on hand in the first place!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh this is great Jeena!! I am going to save this curry powder recipe and make some - thanks for sharing!!

Rosie x

hani said...

This is wonderful...thank you for sharing :)

Joanne said...

I would LOVE to make my own curry powder. Unfortunately, and you're not going to believe this but my hubby doesn't like curry flavor. I know, I know. Incredible!

Dibs said...

Lovely post. In Indian cuisine there is no such thing as as a generic 'curry powder' - as there are 100s of different types and combinations of masalas. Your recipe though is really unique, and by the look of the ingredients must be really aromatic! Loved th idea of adding ginger powder! Will surely try this out!

Anita said...

Cool - that's great idea, especially if I ever run out.

Unknown said...

This sounds wonderful. I never really thought of making this myself, now I'll have to try!
I saw this in Craftzine & had to stop by. Thanks for posting!

Mrs. Ed said...

I have been looking for an easy curry spice blend. Many readers of my blog can't handle store bought mixes so I like to give them a links at the end of my recipes to find spice blends. This will come in handy.