Friday 4 May 2007

Yellow Curried Leek with Griddle Panned Coley

I cooked this dish tonight and it was so delicious!

If you can't get Coley you could use any other white fish like Cod or Pollock etc.

Also I think leeks can be very under rated, leeks are tasty in stews, gravies and even used with spice.

I hope you try this recipe because it was very tasty and so very healthy!



Ingredients

3-4 Carrots(cut into sticks)
1 large onion(sliced)
1 Leek(chopped small)
Handful Mushrooms(sliced)
1/4 Cauliflower(chopped)
Olive Oil

Dried Parsley(large pinch)
Dried Coriander(large pinch)
Clove Garlic(chopped)
Chunk Ginger(chopped)
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1 + 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
2 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Ground Coriander


Getting Started


First of all peel and cut your carrots into sticks and cook in a pan of water for 5-10 minutes.



Then add your leeks and cauliflower and cook until soft. Turn the heat off then leave the pan as it is until needed - do not drain the water off as you will be using it as stock also.




Now grind together your ginger and garlic in a mortar and pestle.




For the Main

Heat some olive oil in a griddle pan until hot - this only takes seconds.



Place your fish onto the griddle turn the heat down a little and leave to cook for 7-8 minutes. Turn it over and cook for a few more minutes. Your fish may need turning again for a minute or two. Poke a skewer or use the opposite end of a spoon into the middle to check if it is hot - some people like fish rare but personally I like to know mine is hot and cooked in the middle.


Meanwhile put your onions into a frying pan with some olive oil.




Brown them off then add your garlic and ginger, stir well and cook for a minute.





Add your spices turmeric, cumin, chili, coriander and stir well - you may need to drizzle in some more olive oil to break down the spices.



Now scoop out your cooked vegetables and add to your onions with your sliced mushrooms.



Add enough of your vegetable water to mix in all your vegetables together.



Add your dried parsley and coriander leaves stir well then cover with a lid and simmer for a few minutes until mushrooms are cooked.



Your fish should be cooked by now.



Serve with your curried leeks and vegetables and enjoy!



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeena,

Your leek dish looks so nice and tasty :-).. It is great to see your back again and we look forward to seeing more recipes.

Tina

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Tina thankyou for visiting :) I'm glad you like my recipes :)

Sharmi said...

the curry looks lovely. nice combination.

Ayesha Seerin said...

Looks so delicious ..
Wish i had some of it

FH said...

Looks great Jeena.I do like to use Leeks in the dishes.It tastes almost like subtle flavored onions!:))

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Sharmi and Ayesha Seerin thankyou, glad you liked this recipe :)

Hey Asha thankyou, yes I agree with you leeks are great! I think they go well with stews and gravies too. They taste great with spices, you are right they are like an onion but with so much of their own flavour in there too :) ...I have a taste for leeks at the moment and can't wait to get cooking! :)

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hmmm.. looks delicious.surely i will try it.Do visit my site and give ur comments.

Bharathy said...

Nice to see a girl from UK,trying out Indian curries.Stumbled upon your great blog while scrolling thru blog top area!!
Great going!!Will visit promptly:)..

Bharathy said...

Jeena I added your link straight away,NOT expecting you that you do the same....
But really out of my interest seeing a foreigner making Indian curries...nice nice meeting you:)

Chef Jeena said...

Hi priar's thankyou for visiting my blog I will sure vist yours too :)

Hey Barathy thankyou for visiting and posting my link. I enjoy making curries and using spices best. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great thankyou, will try it tonight.
Andrew Australia

Angie said...

This comment is about a year late! My hubby brought home some coley today so I'm going to try this. I'll have to use frozen leeks though as I haven't got any fresh ones. I hope cooked coley looks better than raw too - it does look awful!
Angie, xx