Thursday 11 December 2008

Vegan Lasagne Recipe


This really is a simple recipe to cook that tastes fantastic.

I use vegan Parmesan and vegan cheese granules to produce a cheese sauce and true lasagna flavour.

For the filling I season zucchini, onion, peppers and mushrooms with garlic and dried herbs, the taste is phenomenal.

Vegan recipes can be so very tasty and healthy to eat.

I used corn pasta lasagne sheets for this recipe which makes this a gluten free lasagna recipe. You can use wheat pasta sheets just the same and the taste will be fabulous which ever suites your diet.

If you have family and friends that eat a vegan diet why not surprise them with a wonderful vegan lasagna. You could also accompany it with many more of my vegan recipes here.





Ingredients for Chef Jeenas Vegan Lasagna
8oz Sweet Red Peppers (diced)
4oz Onion (diced)
10oz Zucchini (diced)
2 Large Flat Mushrooms (diced)
2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Tbsp Garlic Puree
2 tsp Dried Chives
1 tsp Dried Basil
Tiny Pinch Dried Thyme
Salt and Pepper
Vegan Cheese Sauce Granules
Soya Milk
Vegan Parmesan
Corn Lasagne Sheets (you can use wheat pasta sheets)
Olive Oil


Vegetables for vegan lasagne recipe.


The great thing about this recipe is that you can prepare all the vegetables hours before.



How to Make a Vegan Lasagne Recipe

Pour a little olive oil into a large pan and gently fry the zucchini and onion for 5-8 minutes until it softens.



Once softened add the mushrooms and peppers cook for 5 minutes.



Mix together the tomato puree, garlic puree and dried herbs.



Add to the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of water and salt to season.

Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.



Turn off the heat and leave to the side while you prepare the rest of the vegan lasagna recipe.



Put a pan of water on to boil.

Take a separate small pan and prepare the cheese sauce as the packaging requires using soya milk. You can add a little more milk if the sauce is too thick.



Place 3 sheets of lasagna pasta into the hot water, simmer and cook for a few minutes until the pasta sheets wilt.


Align Centre

Place one layer of lasagna sheets at the bottom of a lasagna dish.


Sprinkle with vegan Parmesan.



Section the cooked vegetables into 3 and use one section to layer the top of the pasta sheets.



Drizzle on some cheese sauce and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.



Repeat the process twice more.



You can drizzle a little olive oil on the last layer, I drizzled a little virgin rapeseed oil.



On the last layer spinkle with parmesan.

Finish the lasagne by making some extra cheese sauce and pouring over the top of the lasagne.


Make sure the cheese sauce is quite loose and not too thick.

Cover with tin foil and place into a hot oven at 180C for 20-30 minutes.

You can remove the tin foil for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking if desired.



Slice and serve with salad or chips.



Enjoy Chef Jeenas tasty vegan lasagna.




See my healthy oven chips recipe for a tasty accompniment to this delicious vegan lagana.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeena, I don't know how you come up with such a great recipe. Corn Lasagna sheets and vegan cheese wow!!! I will love to try that ...Yum Yum... Thanks for creating these wonderful recipes (Nellie)

Meera's World said...

jeena,
its so good to see the awsome recipes again:)i lost my old blog,somewhere!!!was out of touch for a long time,i guess.but as usual,your pics are superb:)
meera

Paula said...

Oh my gosh! This looks so good! I'd have to make a double batch of veggies because I know I'd want to just eat a bowlful just as they are! I'm so happy to see the corn pasta sheets ... I've not seen them where I live, but will be on the hunt for them now! Great recipe, as usual, Jeena! YUM!

Shreya said...

so wonderful and yummy looking, a lot of things are new to me, but the pictures make me want to eat some right away!

Jan said...

Have I missed something, Jeena? I know you used to cook with meat, and it's not that I'm averse to veggies, I love them. But have you become a vegan/vegitarian of late?

Chef Jeena said...

Thank you everyone. :-)

Hi Jan, no I am not vegan but I do eat a lot of vegan food.

I cook for vegan friends and also cook a lot of gluten free food for friends.

I really enjoy cooking vegan and gluten free food. :-)

MrRoy said...

Jeena, what vegan cheese granules do you use and where do you get it

Regards,
Roy

Chef Jeena said...

Hi MrRoy,

I am in the UK and get my cheese granules from Holland and Barratt called 'free & easy'.

If you are not in the UK then I am sure your local health food shops will sell another brand of vegan cheese sauce.

Thanks, Jeena.

MrRoy said...

Thanks for the information. I found a site here in the USA that imports Free & Easy. I am ordering it so I can try it.

Roy

Chef Jeena said...

Hi MrRoy I would love to hear how the lasagne goes.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We loved your lasagna recipe. My friends and I just became vegan last week and it's really nice to finally find a really nice, elaborate and tasty dish.

Anonymous said...

Jeena all of these vegan recipes are very much appreciated! I absolutely love your blog! I am a vegan but I love the fact that even though you are not, you cater for all eating styles.