Sunday 21 September 2008

Apple and Cream Swiss Roll Recipe (Dairy Free and Vegan)


My creamy apple swiss roll recipe is a very healthy dessert that is very delicious, once you taste it you will be wanting more!

I use my dairy free vanilla cream with cooked apple chunks for the filling, I then wrap the filling up using an eggless wholewheat sponge cake, dusting with powdered xylitol or sugar for a pretty finish.

I use fresh vanilla pods in both my dairy free cream recipe and my swiss roll sponge cake recipe, the seeds from the vanilla pods give this cake a very fresh vanilla flavour.

The wholewheat sponge cake is soft, moist and wholesome, the apple chunks are soft with a slight hint of cinnamon and vanilla with a perfect tangy and sweet balance, the cream is thick and creamy.

Serving this delicious apple and cream swiss roll on a platter will impress of your family and friends, why not show them that eating healthy (be it vegan or dairy free) can be very tasty and beautifully presented.

I loved baking this recipe and I loved eating it even more.


My dairy free vegan swiss roll dessert is real delicious rustic treat and well worth the bake.




Ingredients for Jeenas Kitchen Apple and Cream Swiss Roll Recipe
4 oz Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
4 oz Sunflower Margarine
1 + 1/2 Xylitol
1 oz Ground Almonds
200ml Soya Milk
1 Vanilla Pod
3 Gala Apples (peeled and diced small)
5 Tbsp Cold Water
1 tsp Xylitol
Pinch Cinnamon
Jeenas Kitchen Dairy Free Vanilla Cream

Note...'I use Xylitol in this recipe, you can use sugar instead, xylitol however is sweeter than sugar so a little more sugar may be needed.'



"Once I tucked my fork into this delicious creamy swiss roll I could not resist finishing it off and even eating a second serving all to myself!"




How to Make a Vegan Dairy Free Apple and Cream Swiss Roll



Take the vanilla pod and slice striaght down the middle, scrape out the seeds and keep to the side along with the pods.

Place the apples and 5 tablespoons of cold water into a small pan, bring to the boil.



Boil gently for a few minutes then add the vanilla pods (not the seeds) and a small pinch of cinnamon, simmer for around 10 minutes.



You should be left with soft chunks of apples, if there is too much apple sauce drain it and discard it as you do not want the swiss roll to be soggy from the juices.


Leave apple chunks to cool.



In a mixing bowl mix the ground almonds, wholemeal flour and 1 + 1/2 ounce of xylitol together.



Add the margarine, rub the mixture together using your finger tips until you have a mixture that resembles bread crumbs.



Pour in the milk and mix well.



Pour mixture into a greased and floured swiss roll or flapjack oven tin.

Place into a hot oven at 180C for 20 minutes.




Leave to cool for a minute or two.

Roll out a large piece of greaseproof paper, dust with xylitol.

Remove the sponge cake from the oven tin and place on top of the sugar greaseproof paper.



Roll the sponge cake up and leave on a cooling rack to cool down.



Once cool unroll the sponge cake, leave for a few minutes for the centre to cool down, this will not take very long.

Once fully cool spread the apple pieces all over the sponge cake, leave a gap around the edges of the cake as when you reroll the cake the filling will move outwards.



Spread the dairy free vanilla cream on top of the apples.



Using the greaseproof paper gently roll the cake together.



Place onto a platter and dust with powdered xylitol or sugar.


27 comments:

Jan said...

That looks absolutely scrummy, yummy. I can't believe it's healthy too, it looks so decadent.

Bharti said...

Oh wow Jeena! I can't believe it's vegan! It looks like you put in so much effort. Very cool.

Cynthia said...

I really admire your energy to make these dishes and take step by step photographs.

Swati said...

Yummy yummy..this looks SUPER!!!

Finla said...

Creamy an delicious

Prudy said...

That is gorgeous and so perfect for fall. I have to tell you that I'm having your hummus and carmelized onions again today for lunch, inspired by hot garlic's post.

Maria said...

Look at that filling! Delicious! What a great roll cake!

La Bella Cooks said...

Wow, my husband would devour these in a second. They look decadent!

Deepthi Shankar said...

jeena thatz totally amazing .. u put in soo much effort into it .. thtz really great

Mary Ann said...

That looks so good! I love swiss rolls and I am intrigued at how you make them so delicious. Great pics!

Shreya said...

what an amazing process! and love the fact that it is dairy free and vegan.great pics, mouth watering..

Unknown said...

delecious Iam a big fan of Apple pie so i can imagine how this will be looks very mouth watering

Sum Raj said...

how delighful is that jeena...swiss roll ...am drooling here..just lovly click.

Aggie said...

Jeena this looks heavenly! I love the step by step photos!!

Anonymous said...

Swiss rolls are such a bliss. I love them a lot. Your version sounds very appealing to me. Looks good!!!!

Jenny said...

Wow Jeena,
This is beautiful! I am loving all the apple recipes right now. I know I'd love this one!

Unknown said...

They look absolutely delicious..

Paula said...

Oh, Geena, this looks so creamy and good! I've never seen a roll made with ice cream before, and I can guarantee that my hubby would devour this just as quickly as possible. As always, your step by step photos serve as a great tutorial. YUM!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Another beautiful vegan dessert of yours!

Chris F. said...

Yummy! I ought to attempt this in addition to many of your other recipes.

Rosie said...

This looks absolutely gorgeous Jeena!!

Rosie x

The Java Junkie said...

That looks absolutely stunning! I think it may find it's way to my Thanksgiving table!

Anonymous said...

virtual prize
AWARD MIGLIORI CUOCA - meaning "a cook who inspires", received from Laura Adamache. It provides, in my turn, the another skilled manager.
Very good recipes, on your site.

Rosie said...

Absolutely gorgeous Jeena and I just know I would come back for more once I had tasted a slice ;)

Rosie x

test it comm said...

This roll cake looks so good!

Unknown said...

absolutely yummmmmmmy :) i love swiss roles:) and I love your blog:)

putra said...

i love your recipe, i like it so much. thanks for share.