Wednesday 7 January 2009

Fat Free Vegan Oat Cakes Recipe


One of the reasons we uses fats in cooking is because it makes food taste delicious.

Fat free baking is not the most easiest of tasks in the kitchen but when done correctly fat free baking can taste fantastic.

My fat free oat cakes are so delicious that you will not be able to put them down.

I use old gala apples, raisins, sultanas, clementines and oats for this tasty healthy treat.

Instead of using fat in this oat cake recipe I blend and strain the clementines then simmer them with agave syrup for a short time.

These oaty fat free vegan treats are such a delight to eat and really simple to bake.

You would never believe that these delicious oat cakes contained no fat because the taste is so very good.


When you bite into one of my oat cakes you will sink your teeth into wholesome cooked oats, sweet soft apples and juicy raisins and sultanas. The whole mixture of textures is amazing to taste and the flavours go perfectly with one another.



Ingredients for fat free oat cakes recipe

8oz Rolled oats
3oz Light brown sugar
2 tsp Light brown sugar
1 Tea bag
100ml Hot water
8oz Clementine segments
8oz Old gala apples ( diced small)
2oz Sultanas
1oz Raisins
3 level Tbsp Agave Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Essence

Note...'You can add 1 tsp of Cinnamon powder if desired along with the oats sugar and apples..'

Picture of clementine segments.



How to make Fat Free Vegan Oat Cakes


Take the 100ml of hot water and add the 2 tsp of sugar and tea bag.

Make as you would a cup of tea, strain and remove the tea bag.

Add the raisins and sultanas to the tea.



Blend the clementine segments into a juice.

Use the back of a spoon and a sieve to strain the bits and discard them.

You should end up with a fresh clementine juice.



Add the 3 Tbsp of agave syrup and bring the clementine juice to the boil.

Simmer for 7-10 minutes.

Take off the heat.



In a large bowl mic the light brown sugar, oats and apples.



You can use your hands to mix the ingredients really well.



Pour in the clementine and agave juices stir gently with a spoon.



Drain the raisins and sultanas and add them to the oats mixture.

Mix thoroughly with a spoon.



Grease and flour a baking tray.

Take a round flat biscuit cutter and place it onto the oven tray.

Neatly spread the oat cake mixture inside the middle, spread evenly.

You want the cake to be only approximately 2cm thick.



Place into a hot oven at 180C for 25-30 minutes .

Remove straight from the oven tray using a spatula and place on a cooling rack.


Leave to cool completely.



Enjoy Chef Jeenas Fat free vegan oat cakes recipe.



For more tasty vegan recipes see my vegan food recipes index pages here;

Vegan recipes index page 1

Vegan recipes index page 2

17 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

These cookies must be very flavorful! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Erica said...

oh my gosh- these seriously look INCREDIBLE! Please send me one ;) I am jealous of your fam getting to eat all of these healthy treats!

Finla said...

The way you described how it taste makes me want to have them.
Looks so yumm.

Sara said...

These look really moist and delicious, not to mention healthy!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

These sounds so wonderful and healthy too.

test it comm said...

Those look so good! Nice and golden brown on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. Bookmarked

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's very nice step by step instructions and pictures. I love the cookies and the way u explained it.

vanillasugarblog said...

now that's a healthy on-the-go snack and breakfast. I love eating healthy for breakfast, it really does set the tone for the day. Good idea here.

Jan said...

They look yummy, and so healthy.

La Bella Cooks said...

I love treats like these and have made something similar, but I think yours totally beat mine. I need to make these. I cannot find clementines here, so can I just substitute an orange? You describe everything perfectly, Jeena!

Chef Jeena said...

Thank you everyone. :-)

Bridgett you can use orange if you like the taste of orange. I love the fruitiness of clementines, make sure it is a sweet juicy orange. I'd love to hear how it goes. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeena,

I'd like to try this but I can't find Agave syrup here. Can I use other syrup instead? Do you have any good suggestion?

Thank you!

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Pjeobe,

Yes you can use golden syrup, syrup or even maple syrup if you like.

Jeena. :-)

Natasha said...

I don't know if my question went through so if I have asked it twice please disregard this. Can you use steel cut oats (either something like McCann's classic which take an hour to make or quick & easy which take 10 minutes)instead of rolled oats?

Thanks so much

Natasha

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Natasha,

You can use any oats that you can buy from the supermarket, quick oats will work fine.

I must say though I have never cooked wih oats that take an hour to cook so I can not really say if that would work or not.

Vee said...

I know this is quite old... but I was wondering, is it possible to use another fruit puree/juice? And instead of seeping the raisins in some tea-bag, is it possible to use dried cranberries?

Sorry, I'm kind of on a very tight budget, and would love to make these oatcakes :)

Rainy Cakes said...

Hi!
I make an oatcake with 2 cups quick oats, 1/2 cup ground sesame seeds, 3/4 cup oat flour, 3 tbls olive oil, a tsp. cinnamon,1/2 tsp nutmeg & 1/2 cup date pieces. Moisten with apple juice until it holds together and roll into a log and flatten the ends. You can roll it in sesame seeds or coconut flakes if you like. Freeze it for an hour or two to firm up & then slice it into 1/2 " rounds.Butter a cookie sheet & Bake at 325 for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Delicious sugar & wheat free treats!